This figure of 500 million BPL individuals is as it is exaggerated when we see so many non eligible names in small checks carried out at district level. A fair estimation points to a figure of 400 million individuals needing assistance. A sincere effort in pure national interest would be to empower all BPL family heads financially in lieu of work and work alone to such a level that they can take care of all requirements of their family members viz. food, health care, education etc. Ensure a sum of Rs 1000/- per month to each individual at a total cost of Rs 400000 crores which translates into 3200 crores of work days ( @ 125/ day ) for 20 crore adults i.e. 160 working days per annum ( men and women have both included ). Doing away with subsidies, freebies and doles (and including the expenses involved in the proposed food security bill) completely by centre and states and making payments to individuals having UID only through banks can easily take care of this amount.
The following additional advantage will accrue
- Government's inefficient and scam ridden public distribution system will no more be required.
- No bogus individuals and no unnecessary payments
- 3200 crores extra man days can do wonders for the country.
- Government as facilitator and not provider
- Banking facility to almost every citizen
- Only two bodies to be kept under checks and controls. One the BPL certification authority and the other work certification authority.
- Such a large force comes into the realm of organised sector making providing them Healthcare and Education a much easier job.
- All corruption in many aspects of life will be mitigated.
- And above all such a large section of society will live with self esteem and heads held high.